10 Things to Look For in a Helper Spring – Part 4
Last week we examined the more popular helper springs and drew some comparisons regarding quietness, ride quality and stability.
This week we’re continuing our comparison of Add a leaf, Air ride and Timbren SES. Here are four more things to consider when choosing a helper spring.
We’re going to measure reliability by asking two questions: 1) Is it high maintenance? 2) Is it trouble free?
- Add a leafrequires no maintenance or adjustments once installed properly.
- Air Riderequires, at minimum, a maintenance check once a month. Water can get into the system and cause problems with the air flow. Air bags also need to be checked for leaks.
- Timbren SESrequire no on-going maintenance. If the rubber springs sit too close to the axle, a slight adjustment will be necessary.
How long has the product been on the market? These last 3 points have more to do with the company than the product.
Add a leafhas been around for about 25 years.
Air ride Firestone air springs have been around for over 70 years.
Timbren SES Aeon hollow rubber springs have been around for over 50 years.
What sort of warranty should you expect when you purchase one of these products?
- Add a leafoffers a limited Lifetime Warranty for products installed on all non-commercial vehicles. Commercial installation is limited to 12 months or 12,000 miles (Tuff Country.com)
- Air ride comes with a limited Lifetime Warranty against defects in workmanship and materials (Ride Rite.com)
- Timbren SESprovides a Lifetime warranty for as long as you own the vehicle.
Customer Satisfaction Guarantee
How will you be treated if you wish to return the product?
- Add a leaf Tuff Country extends a generous 90-day return policy
- Air ride Air Lift has a 60-day no-questions-asked return policy. (Return policy for Ride Rite is inconclusive.)
- Timbren SES Even though it is not stated clearly on the web site, there exists a return policy for those who – for any reason – are dissatisfied with the product.
And there you have it.
Not every product – however popular it might be – is designed to meet your needs. I hope this little comparison is useful, and will help you decide which helper spring is right for you.